Giethoorn is one of the most picturesque villages in The Netherlands, located in the province of Overijssel in the Netherlands. It is known for its idyllic canals, quaint bridges, and beautiful thatched-roof houses. If you are planning to visit Giethoorn, here are some things to do that you won’t want to miss:
- Take a boat tour: One of the best ways to experience Giethoorn is by taking a boat tour. There are several tour operators in the village that offer guided tours along the canals. As you glide along the water, you can enjoy the beautiful scenery and learn about the history and culture of the village.
- Visit the Museum Giethoorn ‘t Olde Maat Uus: The Museum Giethoorn ‘t Olde Maat Uus is a living history museum that showcases the traditional way of life in Giethoorn. Visitors can see how people used to live and work in the village, including demonstrations of farming, fishing, and traditional crafts.
- Go cycling or hiking: Giethoorn and its surrounding areas are great for cycling or hiking. There are several trails that lead through the beautiful countryside, where you can enjoy scenic views and fresh air.
- Explore De Wieden National Park: De Wieden National Park is located near Giethoorn and is a great place to explore nature. The park is home to a wide variety of birds, plants, and animals, and visitors can take a boat tour or hike through the park to experience its natural beauty.
- Visit the De Oude Aarde gemstone museum: The De Oude Aarde gemstone museum is located in the nearby town of Giethmen and is home to a collection of precious and semi-precious stones from around the world. Visitors can learn about the history and properties of the stones and see some stunning examples of lapidary work.
- Relax at a terrace: Giethoorn has several terraces where you can relax and enjoy the scenery while sipping on a coffee or a beer. The De Sloothaak café and terrace is a popular spot with views of the canals and the village.
- Visit the local shops: Giethoorn has several shops that sell traditional Dutch souvenirs and local handicrafts. The shops are located along the main canal and are perfect for picking up some unique gifts or mementos.
Giethoorn is a unique village with a lot to offer to visitors. Whether you want to relax and enjoy the scenery or explore the culture and history of the village, there is something for everyone. If you are planning a trip to the Netherlands, consider adding Giethoorn to your itinerary.