Delft is a charming city located in the province of South Holland in the Netherlands. It is known for its rich history, beautiful architecture, and world-famous Delft Blue pottery. If you are planning to visit Delft, here are some things to do that you won’t want to miss:
- Visit the Royal Delft Factory: The Royal Delft Factory is the last remaining factory in Delft that still produces the famous blue and white pottery. Visitors can take a guided tour of the factory and learn about the history and the production process of this iconic Dutch product. There is also a museum on site that showcases the history of Delftware.
- Stroll through the “Markt”: The Markt is the central market square of Delft and is surrounded by historic buildings and cafes. It is the perfect place to grab a coffee or a bite to eat and enjoy the charming atmosphere of the city. On Thursdays, the Markt is transformed into a bustling market where you can buy everything from fresh produce to souvenirs.
- Visit the “Nieuwe Kerk”: The Nieuwe Kerk (New Church) is a beautiful Gothic church that dates back to the 15th century. It is famous for its tall tower, which offers stunning views of the city. Inside, visitors can see the tomb of William of Orange, the founder of the Dutch Royal Family.
- Explore the Museum “Prinsenhof”: The Museum Prinsenhof is a former convent that was turned into a museum in the 20th century. It showcases the history of Delft and its most famous resident, William of Orange. Visitors can see artifacts from his life, including the bullet holes in the wall where he was assassinated.
- Walk along the canals: Delft is known for its picturesque canals, and a walk along the waterways is a must-do activity. There are several walking tours available that will take you along the canals and point out the city’s historic buildings and landmarks.
- Enjoy a beer at De Koperen Kat: De Koperen Kat is a local brewery that offers a range of craft beers. Visitors can take a tour of the brewery and learn about the brewing process before sampling some of the delicious beers.
- Take a bike tour of the countryside: The Netherlands is famous for its flat landscapes and extensive network of bike paths. Rent a bike and take a tour of the countryside around Delft, where you can see windmills, farms, and small villages.
- Visit the Botanical Gardens: The Botanical Gardens of Delft are located on the edge of the city and are home to a wide variety of plants and trees. It is the perfect place to relax and enjoy nature after a day of sightseeing.
Delft is a beautiful city with a rich history and culture. Whether you are interested in art, history, or just want to relax and enjoy the charming atmosphere, Delft has something to offer everyone. So, if you’re planning a trip to the Netherlands, be sure to add Delft to your itinerary.